Rio de Janeiro Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro announced Tuesday have waived recruit former French international striker Nicolas Anelka, a few hours before the player himself confirmed this information from Kuwait, where it is in religious visit.
“The greatness of Atletico Mineiro is much higher than that of Anelka,” who “has demonstrated unprofessional behavior” said the technical director of the club in Belo Horizonte, Eduardo Maluf, quoted by Brazilian media Tuesday night.
A spokesman for the club later confirmed these statements AFP.
From Kuwait, the former striker for English club West Bromwich Albion, fired following his “scoop” of December 28, confirmed this Wednesday morning. “I have signed for anyone, I’m on vacation” he simply replied Anelka reporters.
Monday already, arriving in Kuwait, the former Paris SG player, Real Madrid, Chelsea or Arsenal and Juventus had refused to say whether he intended to play or not for the Atletico Mineiro. “I am religious visit to Kuwait and I’m not going to talk about football” had said the former French international, invited by the Kuwaiti Ministry of Religious Affairs to participate in a meeting with Muslim youth.
In his statements to Brazil Tuesday Eduardo Maluf also announced the intention of the club to sue against the agent of Nicolas Anelka, Cristian Cazini, with Fifa, without specifying the basis of this procedure.
The arrival of Nicolas Anelka at the club “galo” in which plays former player Ronaldinho SG Paris, was announced by Alexandre Kalil, president of Atletico Mineiro, on Twitter, on the night of 5 to 6 April. “Anelka é do Galo” (belongs to Galo Anelka, the club’s nickname) announced Mr. Kalil on the social network, via a tweet then published on the website of the team.
But this ad has not been acted upon, and Anelka had remained silent and in any case totally invisible until Monday at his reappearance in Kuwait.
Anelka, recruited early in the season for West Bromwich Albion, England, was rebuilt about him on December 28 celebrating the first of his two goals against West Ham by a “quenelle” gesture created by comedian Dieudonné polemicist and considered by some as anti Semitic.
On 27 February, for this gesture, he received a five-game suspension and a fine of 97,300 euros by the English FA (FA). On March 14, the day of his 35 year old French international (69 caps, 14 goals) had announced on social networks WBA’s decision to leave, refusing to apologize on behalf the English club asked. This announcement had been immediately followed by a dismissal proper player for the English club.